Wednesday, May 16, 2012

i did it!!!

After so much anticipation, work, and worry, the Harding Art Show is over. Always so strange to be so uber-focused on one thing and then the thing is over and you are left relieved and slightly empty and a tad confused. What exactly do you do with this sudden influx of time now that every waking moment isn't consumed by the big thing? So far I have color-coordinated my closet, cleaned out my fridge and wandered aimlessly around my house eyeing unpacked boxes and unfinished projects and piles of paperwork. Maybe I'll tackle those later... But for now, a quick recap of the big show! I'm still floating that I got in, so to actually have great sales was icing on the cake. Set-up was exhausting but well worth it. My dad and I managed to get 98 paintings into my little space. It took some doin' but we got 'er done. By the end of the first night, I had sold 24 paintings. This is almost what I sell in a typical weekend at other shows so I was understandably floored. I still don't have a total on the final tally but if we are close on our estimate, we doubled our average sales from the past big shows. I got such great feedback from everyone who came through. It was truly surreal to be successful at such a prestigious show. Some other highlights from the show... -peonies from my friend Andrea gracing my booth
-my posse from Bread and Company stopping by
-my friend and fellow artist, Kellie Montana, was my backdoor boothmate. So fun!
-my sweet husband coming straight from work to man the booth with his warm, engaging, hilarious personality so that I could get a break.
-my hilarious and adorable daughter handing out my business cards, unprompted, to random passers-by!
One great thing about any show is seeing all my work hanging together and noting how the colors and textures and subjects all reflect a unified style that is uniquely mine. When you work on one piece at a time, it is hard to see the big picture of your work. To realize that in the past three years, I have developed a recognizable technique and palette and style is probably one of my biggest accomplishments. That someone can see one of my pieces in someone's home or business and know that it is a little e original is amazing.
Another blessing is meeting the people who purchase your art. This may be my favorite thing. I had two sweet little girls just labor over their decision about which paintings to buy. They each got a cross, which I signed personally to them, and then they wanted their picture with me. Too sweet. And then there was the lady who bought my big Apron Strings painting. When I saw the painting, it reminded me of my studio and my artwork, but when she saw it, it spoke to her about cooking for family and friends and her kitchen and her aprons. She was so happy that it made me happy to let it go to a place where it meant so much. She has since sent me a picture of it in her kitchen and it is perfect! And then there was the lady who bought one for her sister who is finalizing a painful divorce. And the man who went on a desperate search for a chapel for his wife for Mother's Day. And the cardiologist who bought 3 heart paintings for her children. And then there was the lady who recognized me from my antique booth days and said my pieces from that long-ago adventure are all over her house. And then there were all the folks who have followed me from show to show since my Bella Rustica debut. I am truly blessed with what I do. I get to bring a bit of happy into people's homes. Stay tuned for the next big thing...this is only a brief reprieve!!!! love, little e

No comments:

Post a Comment